I have meant to write this post for a long while …
Krystal at Give Me Back My Five Bucks is running a contest to win $500 cash towards your financial bucket list. She is partnering with Life Insurance Finder to achieve this. To enter just go to the link and follow the directions. Contest ends December 14, 2011.
My financial bucket list includes:
- Becoming debt free, including my mortgage. I’d like to try out what that’s like … having my whole pay cheque to myself instead of having to share it with my creditors.
- Travel. There are some many places I would like to see in person; South Africa, Egypt, France, Australia, England, Ireland, California, Las Vegas, Halifax, and the list goes on
- I’d like to have a fully funded emergency fund. I have yet to come up with the magical number as I know it will be a lot less if I was debt-free. I am leaning towards $10,000. This seems like a nice even number.
- Be in a position to help my kids pay for some of their university education. I have long ago realized that when you spend your own money you tend to be more serious about the activity. So I only want to cover 1/2 of my kid’s education cost. I think that if they are really serious about it they will figure out how to get the rest. Hopefully through working part-time rather than student loans.
- Having said that I would love to be able to pay off any debt incurred by my kids while attaining their university education. Backwards maybe but I wouldn’t tell them that I am going to do it so hopefully it will make them work hard to achieve their education with minimal costs. Plus if I don’t tell them I could always change my mind!!
- Fully funded retirement accounts. While this one is last on my list, (only cause I realized I left it out) it would be my second priority after becoming debt-free. I don’t want to be on the “Freedom 85″ plan.
That’s it for now. The list is much longer but those are the most important to me right now.