Random thoughts of an upbeat mind

Quick trip recap

Well if there was every a time I was to question my sanity, it would be based on this trip.

I woke up at 3:45 am Friday morning and by the time we got ourselves together and in the car it was minutes to 5 am. Not our best start but since the goal was to arrive in one piece we didn’t have a time line.

Routes to MD

The highlighted route on the far right is the one I take. But with the weather and the mountains, I was hesitant to take this hilly route. So I took my Aunt’s route which is the one to the far left. It adds about 30 minutes to the drive but it is all highway driving.

On the Canadian side just before getting to the Peace bridge border crossing, I encountered blinding heavy snow. 😦 It lightened up just after the border but then returned a short while later. To think I took the longer route to avoid bad weather. lol

The rest of the drive was long and uneventful. My only complaint was that since my GPS really only has fastest route or shortest distance options, it kept redirecting me off the highway so I had no clue how long the trip would really take. Also since I was unfamiliar with the route it was harder to gauge when to stop for food and gas.

We arrived in MD just after 2. Since my Aunt was still at work, we headed to the mall. Princess found a pair of boots she liked and I bought a face mask. Then we moved on to Walmart where I am proud to say we did not spend a lot. There is really very little we “need”. We also spent some time in Target and TJ Maxx.

My Aunt opted to cook dinner so we just picked up dessert and finally arrived at her home just after 7 pm. It was a long day and I was glad to finally stop moving.

We slept in a little on Saturday. Okay, it was a little for me and a lot for my kids. So much so we were almost late to the ceremony. It was a great service. I met some new family members and reconnected with others. I’m really glad I made the effort to go.

My plan was to leave around 3 pm and head back to Canada. BUT towards the end, there was picture taking and it took long to say goodbye to everyone.

To add to our lateness, Princess left her winter jacket at my Aunt’s house so we had to stop there on our way home. My Aunt was not home. Lucky for us her garage can be opened with a code and she doesn’t lock the door to house from her garage. So we were able to get the jacket and change our clothes.

Long road trip short we took our usual way home since I figured it was quicker and easier for me. We did stop for a meal and a walk through another TJ Maxx so we didn’t get home until after 3 am Sunday morning. O_o About 48 hours after I started my journey.

I fell into bed and was fast asleep but for some reason I was up at 7 am. I gave up the hope of going back to sleep at 9:30 and got out of bed and went to the living room to read “Between the World and Me“.

Yesterday afternoon we attended my brother’s concert, grabbed some food on the way home and then relaxed on the couch. I was beat and ready for bed by 8 but decided to stay up a little later so I could try to get back to my regular bedtime.

I still feel tired but it’s manageable.

I will be going back to MD for my cousin’s ceremony in 6 weeks. I wonder if the new job will give me the time off so I don’t have to do this quick turnaround again.



Comments on: "Quick trip recap" (4)

  1. Whoa, that is a long distance for a 48-hour turn-around!

  2. Wow! That’s a crazy big drive in such a short time!! And with snow on the road as well. The trip sounds well worth the effort but yes, you need more time if you do it again!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: