I’ve had this post in my head since last weekend … Better late than never, right?
Right now I am struggling with life/work balance. I am so unhappy at work I have started looking for another job. I moved to the early shift and still find myself working at least 2 hours overtime almost every day. 😦 The only “bonus” is that I am still leaving work at a “reasonable” hour. I really thought that work would get better since we were bought out but that is not the case. It also does not help that just about everyone in my department is miserable including my manager.
Friday had me running around like a chicken with my head cut off as we’ve just implemented a new pricing process that requires multiple busy people to look at our costs before the quote goes to our finance department and then back to our VP of sales. If she changes a penny, it must go back to finance for approval …
The process is taking 5+ days. Unacceptable, but what can we do. It honestly feels like we are being set up to fail. I am told right now is our busy season and it will slow down but I am not seeing it.
On the fitness side, I am still managing to fit in at least a 20 minute workout into my day every day. My body is tired but I am getting it done. I want to increase the amount of time I exercise but I have not yet convinced myself to work out before work. And when I get home, some nights I am so hungry that I inhale a yogurt before exercising and then choose a 20 minute workout. I still have not attempted a Jillian workout.
I need to get a better handle on my food intake. I was supposed to start tracking it on Feb 1 but … I neglected to. Made myself the world’s most awesome sandwich for breakfast today and yesterday. Put it into myfitnesspal.com only to cry at how calorie heavy it is. No regrets, but it is an eye opener. Also my water intake has fallen by the wayside. 😦
Financially … I have not been as diligent as I used to be with my money. I have been having way too many coffees out. Considering I am/was a one coffee a day kind of girl and 99% of the time it was instant from home as I am not a “real” coffee drinker. I like coffee that doesn’t taste like coffee, flavoured is my jam. This new habit of going for a second coffee 3+ times a week needs to end.
Basically I am a hot mess and need to get myself back on track. This is the month to start focusing on me.
Princess has thrown down a challenge. Even though she’s been complaining that there is no food in the house, she is proposing that other than perishables we not buy anything else until September 15th.
This is completely doable as we have tonnes of meat and carbs in the freezer and pantry. So other than produce & milk we really don’t need to buy anything.
So I am getting on board.
Tomorrow I am going to pick up milk, yogurt, cream, eggs, some fruits & veggies AND NOTHING ELSE!! LOL I’m even taking Princess with me to make sure I stay focused. Although I do want some kind of sugary treat be it ice cream or Popsicles. Hopefully I can sneak it in the cart when she’s not looking. LOL
I know it’s the middle of May but I still want to do my monthly recap.
- Move at least 10 minutes every day – I worked out 14 times last month
- Stick to my budget – I was over by $14 but that’s because I used some of my income tax refund to pad my budget
- Read 3 books – I finished not even 1 😦
- Continue to work on my afghan – I’m stuck on a piece of the pattern that requires me to concentrate and I have not spent the time with it to figure it out
- Stop eating after 8 pm – I was good in the beginning of month
- Replace the batteries in my scale and watch – Done and done.
- Figure out what to do with my tax refund – Other than pad my budget last month, I think I’m just going to leave it in my savings
Wow this is much better than I thought it would be.
Since we are half way through May I’m not going to have too many goals.
- Stay on budget
- Establish a nightly prep routine
- Go to bed by 11 pm
- Start exercising
I think that’s enough for the next 2 weeks.
I don’t really want to talk about March. I was doing “OK” until I left the country then I forget I was on a budget. 😦
So I hope to distract you with what might be my only “win” this month. All the decluttering I did.
Ok, back to reality.
What was I supposed to be doing again?
- Participate in Carla’s March Take 3 challenge – I did join and post about it 🙂
- Come in under budget – Not even close
- Time management – Nope
- Declutter – Partly done, still have a box of CDs to rip
- Work on my afghan – I have added a few more rows
- Daily reading in the morning and evening – Nope
- Read 3 books – I only read The 21 Day Financial Fast
- Stop eating after 8 pm – If I was on point 30% of the time that was plenty
I am still struggling with getting my ducks together. I only exercised 12 times and that was only because since last week I decided to make sure I move every day.
- Move at least 10 minutes every day
- Stick to my budget
- Read 3 books
- Continue to work on my afghan
- Stop eating after 8 pm
- Replace the batteries in my scale and watch
- Figure out what to do with my tax refund
Maybe lucky #7 will be the magic number of goals for me this month.
I am a sucker for challenges or anything that gets me to do something a little different. Thanks Carla for “dragging” me along. 😉
Finance: Come in below budget. In all the time that I have been budgeting I can’t think of a time when I was under. I’m usually at best a little over. I’m not sure that this is the best month to try this out in as I have a lot of one-off expenses this month. All 3 passports expire in 2 weeks. Princess turns 16. I need to renew the sticker on my license plate. Property taxes are due. I am going to limit the finance part to the rest of my budget without these 4 expenses.
Personal: One thought. Time management. I don’t know where my time goes every day. In my perfect world I will have time for exercise, reading, crocheting and paying attention to my kids … oh and television cause it’s really important. 😉 This month I am going to try to master the art of working out in the morning, thus freeing up my evening to relax.
Decluttering: There is a pile of
crap stuff that’s been sitting in my dining room for far too long. I have tidied it up but I need to figure it out once and for all. Since I haven’t really looked at the pile in at least a year it is safe to say it’s not anything critical. I have 4 desktops to clean off and dispose of. Don’t ask why, I don’t have a good answer.
I think this is plenty.
I am fairly sure it is safe to say I took my eye off the ball last month.
- Stop eating after 8pm. – Not exactly, I would say I was successful 40-50% of the time.
- Read 3 books – I read The Butler: A Witness to History and When She Woke.
- Pick up an afghan and work on it – I pulled it out if the closet, does that count?
- Shop my freezer – I don’t think I bought any meat last month
- Get back on track with my daily morning and evening reading – Nope
- Continue to workout at least 5 times a week – I worked out 12 times.
Yup, proof I took my eye off the prize. On the financial front I was 1.44% over my monthly budget and I blame that on the creme brulee. 😉 Had I not gone out to dinner with my friend I would have been under budget. Lucky me I get another month to try again! 🙂
- Participate in Carla’s March Take 3 challenge, my 3 things to come
- Work on my afghan, pictures to come
- Daily reading in the morning and evening
- Read 3 books
- Stop eating after 8 pm
I think that’s enough for now. Sadly, I want to snack on something and it’s 9:48 pm. 😦
On Monday I got the dreaded you have reached 100% of your monthly usage allowance. 😦 In an attempt to reduce our overage I banned everyone from using the internet unless it was school related. When I checked this morning we were 6 GBs over our limit. This will be an additional $12 on the next bill. I would love to know what had changed this past billing cycle as we haven’t gone over our 60 GB limit in a long time and usually sit at less than 45 GBs each month.
Oh well, on to business.
- Fiscal fast for the first 8 days of January, with the exception of a lunch on Jan 7 – Done
- No-Low Spend Challenge
- Come in on or under my reduced budget – I was over by 4% if you don’t count my tickets to The Lion King, 18.5% if you do
- No eating out (except for the lunch I have on the 7th) – Nope, my cousin invited me out and I also paid for the meal my BFF “treated” me to as she has not paid me back yet and I don’t intend to ask for repayment as she frequently takes me out to eat.
- 15 “no spend” days – I had 22
- Continue to track my spending – I did this and for the first time ever my spending only took up 32 lines on my spreadsheet. (It’s usually in the 50’s)
- Shop my freezer – Mostly, but I still stocked up on some pizzas towards the end of the month
- Exercise 20 times – I tracked 27 workouts
- Read 2 books – I only read The Time Traveler’s Wife
- Give the blanket to my BFF – Done!
- Pick up one of the unfinished crochet projects I have – Nope, I have not looked in the bin yet
Not bad. I’m starting to think that multi-tasking is not my forte. But I worked out and tried to keep my spending under control, which were the important goals to me.
- Stop eating after 8pm. I find myself snacking while watching the 11 pm news. 😦
- Read 3 books
- Pick up an afghan and work on it
- Shop my freezer
- Get back on track with my daily morning and evening reading
- Continue to workout at least 5 times a week
On a different note, I forgot to tell you that I stepped on the scale on Saturday and pulled out the tape measure. I am down almost 4 lbs and 4 inches. I kinda expected it would be more as I am feeling rather lean. I am one pound away from where My Fitness Pal thinks I am. Blasted summer holiday weight gain that is fighting to stay with me. 😦 My cousin gave me bad news. She said once you get closer to your goal it gets harder to lose the weight. WTF!?! Well, I am taking that as a challenge and putting on my big girl panties. 😉