Yesterday was a beautiful day. So much so I decided it could not be spent completely indoors. So after going to Costco, which I need to avoid from now on, I took my kids down to Bluffers Park. I have not been in a very long time and although we did not spend a great deal of time there, it was a nice and something that I will be repeating again throughout the summer.
Since I bought myself a lovely DSLR, I made sure to bring it with me. Ok, Diva reminded me to bring it.
Since I have the zoom lens, you can also bear witness to what I saw.
Can you see them?
How about now?
Still wondering what I am looking at?
There were people climbing up The Bluffs. WTF???? Of course Diva wanted to do it too. *smh*
Lately I’ve been thinking about the end of the year. Not in an introspective kind of way but more in the importance society gives December 31/January 1. Truth is we are given a “fresh start” every day. This thought process of now that it’s a new year I get another chance to get it right is troubling me. I think we get a new chance every day we wake up.
I am going to attempt to change my mindset. No longer will I wait for next week or next month to do what I should have been doing all along. Case in point, this past Sunday I said I would start the 30 Day Sculpt and do all 5 weeks. On Sunday I did not take my butt off the couch. So I counted that day as my “rest” day and began on Monday. Tuesday night had me watching the ball drop THEN working out. As far as I am concerned since I did not sleep it was still a workout for Tuesday even if it was after midnight. 😉
Last year I vowed to:
- Spend more time with friends and family. I can’t say that I made a huge change in my visiting/hanging out. There are still lots of people on the list to spend time with. 😦
- Get active. According to myfitnesspal.com I moved my body 118 days last year.
- Reduce my debt. Not nearly as much as I would like
- Increase my net worth. Yes I have more than doubled my net worth. 🙂
- Learn and grow. I have no idea what I was trying to say here as this is as vague as it can get.
So I’m going to call it a tie. 😉
- I would like to say “yes” more often. I am far too comfortable chilling on my couch. So looking for cheap/free entertainment outside of my house is on the list. My BFF is now a part of several meetup groups and has informed me that there is no reason why we should be at home often anymore.
- I haven’t been on a plane in 3 years. I know first world problems. lol This year I would like to take my kids somewhere by plane. I will be on the look out for cheap vacation destinations. Having said that my BFF told me one of her meetup groups is going to South Africa in November … Oh to dream. For the 3 of us we are looking at $10K. I don’t think this trip is a possibility for this year, but hopefully for Diva’s
high school university graduation. I would say Princess but her dream trip is to go to England.
- I know I just finished telling you that I want to leave the house, but I also want to read more. Think there is a meetup group for that? Meet in the mall/park/zoo to read a book?? LOL I have picked 50 as the number of books I would like to read this year. I read 20 books last year. An Exacting Life has been reading books that she owns. Such a novel concept.
Most of these books I have yet to read. 😦 So no more putting books on hold at the library. It’s time to read and get rid of what I have.
In addition to that I would also like to read the Bible. Actually if I am not mistaken, the black book in the first cubby of the second row from the top is one of my Bibles. I have read the beginning and the end, but all that happened between Genesis and Revelation … don’t ask me about that. I will end my night with pages from the Bible. I will start my days with The Book of Awakening and The Daily Book of Positive Quotations. Both books are a page a day so nothing too overwhelming.
- I can’t forget exercise. Project Get Healthy continues. My goal is to beat last year’s exercise number of 118 days. I think I can do that. Especially when looking back to see large chunks of time without exercise. Ideally I’d like to lose some weight too but the most important thing is that I keep moving.
- On the financial front, more of the same. Stay on or under budget. I have set up my budget to keep track of how on point I am on a cumulative basis so I can tighten the reins before it is a complete disaster. Since I was over-budget by 10% last year, my aim is to be 5% or less. I would say 0 but that doesn’t feel realistic to me.
- Learn to really use my not so new camera and post more of my own pictures on this blog. I have taken 2 classes but still the best way to learn is to just go play with it so I will be doing that this year. My cousin bought herself a dSLR too and is going to take a course at her local college so I’m sure she will share any knowledge she gets. 🙂
I feel like I am forgetting something but I can’t put my finger on what yet. I’m sure decluttering my home should be on this list but let’s not get too crazy!! LOL
Yesterday was a write off. I came home beyond beat but because I promised my sister I would take her to the mall to hand out her resume I just couldn’t “let my hair down”.
We didn’t make it to the mall. Instead I took her to various businesses near her house. Since her ultimate goal is to get a job close to home I figured we start close and work our way out. Just dropping off your resume is a timely process. We spent almost 2 hours and I think we only went to 9 places as some of the businesses require you to fill out an application.
I sat in the car while she went in.
After taking her around I met a friend for dinner. Before dinner I signed myself up for how to use your new camera class at the local camera store. I took a similar class to learn how to better use my digital camera as I used to leave it on auto and had no idea what the other settings were for.
By the time I got home I was seeing stars. My allergy eyes were in full effect. I could do nothing more than fall into bed.
The box was left unopened.
Today was the first day this week that I woke up feeling rested. 🙂 It’s Friday AND we got off work early which just sweetened the deal.
I finally opened the box my camera kit came in and put the battery to charge.
Now I am just patiently waiting for a little green light so I can start to play with my new toy.
I broke down and finally bit the bullet. After 8+ years of wanting and researching and contemplating I finally purchased this beauty.
I have lusted after a DSLR for a very long time. Never considered anything other than a Rebel until Costco sent me an email with a coupon for this lovely 60D. She (soon to be named ;)) came with 2 lens, a bag and a memory card.
I researched some more. I contemplated. I bothered all who knew me and most said “Get it, if only so we can FINALLY stop having this conversation.”
Then I justified it by saying “It’s Costco, if I don’t like it I can take it back.”
So I have 90 days to play with this camera and see if it is all I thought it would be and more. 🙂
Confession time, I am a camera addict. I’m not sure if I really like taking pictures or just buying new gadgets. But I have 3 functioning cameras right now, but they are all point and shoot.
I would really, really, really, really like a DSLR. Like REALLY. But I have yet to justify the high price.
I have always wanted a Canon Rebel. I am a Canon fan. All my current cameras are Canons.
Every year I say “I’ll get last year’s model and be happy” and then the next model would come along and I would think “Oh my … feature blah blah blah is really nice maybe I should wait until the price drops on the new version and get it instead”
This has been going on for 4, maybe 5 years. 😦
Last year I said I would stop at the Canon T3i as it has the flip out screen that I find handy to have.
But then I started looking at the Canon T4i … and it has a touchscreen … blah blah blah. 😦
Isn’t it pretty?
Anyhoo, I started researching lenses and I came across the new 18-135mm STM lens that would allow me to do close up and a longer zoom without having to change lenses. It will also maintain autofocus while in movie mode. And that is where trouble started.
The Canon T4i and the new 18-135mm lens bundled with a few extras are on sale. I have until Nov 21 …
I have avoided going to look at it as I feel like I would finally give in to temptation.
I have to confess, that at least once every couple of days I look at it online. 😦
What do you think, spend the money and stop torturing myself or continue to lust from afar?